Friday, July 23, 2010

Top 5 Books For Those In RCIA

Q - If one of your friends (who is a voracious reader) came to you and said they were planning on enrolling in RCIA to at least learn about the Catholic Church (if not to become Catholic), but wanted some solid Catholic books to read in the mean time...which five books or so would you suggest to whet their appetite?


A - Great question. I put some thought into this and decided it is a very difficult question to answer, because of the limit you gave me. So, I will put my top 5, with a few extras that almost made it.

Remember the purpose is to help someone who isn't Catholic learn about the faith, so I don't want to overlap topics or kinds of books too much. Furthermore, The Holy Bible has to be the first and last book every Christian should read, so it doesn't even need to go on a list like this.

5 - Theology and Sanity. - Frank Sheed

4 - Humanae Vitae - Pope Paul VI

3 - The Faith of the Early Fathers. - Edited by W. A. Jurgens, 3 volumes,

2 - Catholic Christianity - Peter Kreeft

1 - Catechism of the Catholic Church

Others that almost made the list:
Surprised By Truth. edited - Patrick Madrid.
Ignatius Study Bible NT
The 4 Dogmatic Constitutions of Vatican II
How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization - Thomas Woods
Triumph - H. W. Crocker III
Good News About Sex and Marriage - Christopher West
The Imitation of Christ - Thomas a Kempis
The How-To Book of Catholic Devotions - Mike Aquilina
The How-To Book of The Mass - Michael Dubruiel
Catholicism for Dummies - Fr. John Trigilio
The Lord - Romano Guardini
By What Authority? - Mark Shea
Confessions - St. Augustine
Why Do Catholics Do That? - Kevin Orlin Johnson

1 comment:

Ed Winkle said...

Great answers. As a new Catholic myself I would rank Father Corapi number one as he is all over TV, radio, CD, DVD and the Internet and you can read the Catechism online from the Vatican. That is where I would start my friend as it worked for me. RCIA was the greatest experience for me you can imagine and it was life changing, too. Mother Mary led me there through Father Corapi and lots of Mass attendance.